New Feature: Recipe Tags
  • Just added a new feature, recipe tags. This operates in a simple manner; you can add tags to any recipe you review. You'll see the tag field right at the bottom of the review/add recipe page. You can also edit any of your pre-existing reviews and add tags to them. I've also added a 'recipe tags' page to the Browse section of Cookbooker so you can review existing tags. I've put a few in to start us off.

Right now the tags are connected to your individual recipe reviews, enabling people to add and edit their own tags. So you can't tag a recipe you are indexing. But otherwise, go crazy! Tags will show up on each recipe page right under the photo of the recipe.

We'll be using this for the new challenge, summer grilling, so people can tag recipes from all over the place (cookbooks, magazines, websites) and have them show up in the challenge. This will start after the holiday weekend, but if you're doing some grilling this weekend, keep some notes and you can go back and tag the recipes with our challenge tag later.
  • Really cool, Andrew! I don't know how many tags I've already added, but I love seeing how my reviews connect via shared tags. Love it!
    Would love to see it on indexed recipes too, as soon as you have the time...
  • Sounds great! I'll go and see how this works.
  • I think I should be able to set it up with indexing; I'll hack away at the page tomorrow and see what I can do. The first time I did it it didn't work but I think I know why.

I'll also work on some enhancements to make recipe tags easier to use.
  • Can someone please explain the "separated by commas" tag?
  • That would be a bug! I'll have to dig that one out and fix it. Thanks!
  • Beth and Andrew, you crack me up! I've noticed that recipes without tags automatically get the tags "tags" and "separated by commas", as these are in the default in your tags field. But speaking of tags, I'm a bit at a loss in what to put there...
  • Quezzle Sister: Whatever helps you to find recipes when you need them... eg. I recently began tagging recipes 'egg whites' or 'egg yolks', depending which of the two they use. That way, whenever I have a few egg whites left over I can do a quick search what to do with them. Only going back and finding these recipes to tag them is a pain... :)
  • Queezle - I wasn't trying to be funny. I thought perhaps I was missing some insider information or a private joke. LOL!

I really like the recipe tags and I have gone back and tagged my recipe reviews. Most of the time the tag is something simple like chicken or pork or baking. I find it interesting to review the recipe tags to see what other people have tagged wi
  • Okay, I've removed the two accidental tags - QS was correct, they were the default text in the field and were entered when someone entered a recipe with no tags. Now there's nothing in the field, but there's an explanation beside it saying you need commas. I have also added a funky little plugin which will 'tagify' any text you put in when you add a comma.

I find that I try to tag recipes when there's something about them which is searchable but not found in the recipe title.

Also, I've looked into the indexing question (can you add tags to an indexed recipe?) and I'll have to say no. When you index a recipe it is added to the system but it is not connected to any particular member, so there would be no way to make the tags editable or removable. Tags are connected to each member's recipe reviews, and can be edited or added any time when you edit your review.
  • Thanks for the explanation - I've avoided redundancy with the title, and that appears to be the right choice. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!