Skim milk or whole milk that is the question
  • My mom always wants to get skim milk because it is healthier. That only way that I can get anything higher that 1% is if I find a recipe that calls for it. At the moment I have skim milk and whipping cream. Does anyone know a recipe for making 2% mill with a combo of both??
    Thanks- 13-daughter
  • Dear niece, think of this as a simple math puzzler.
    What is the percentage of fat in your cream and your milk?
    My heavy cream is 8%.
    What is the percent fat in your milk?
    You mentioned skim milk which should be near zero and also 1% which would be 1%.
    If I had 1 cup of heavy cream, it would be 8% fat. If I started with ¼ cup of heavy cream and added ¾ cup of fat-free milk, I would have 2% milk.
    Does this help?
  • Yes thank you so much!
  • Sorry to intrude on a family discussion, but isn't heavy cream normally 40% fat or so? Here in Canada, we have whipping cream, which is about 35% fat, but I know that in the US, heavy cream has more.

If I were using 40% fat heavy cream, I'd use different proportions. At 40%, 1/4 cup of heavy cream plus fat-free milk would give you 10% milk in the end. You'd have to use 1/20th of a cup of cream to create 2% for the total fat content, which is just under a tablespoon.
  • I confused grams of fat with percent, thanks for the correction. That makes better sense.
  • OK well that makes sense. I made a cup like PS said to and well... it was a bit to creamy even for me! Thank you for the correct proportions! :)

13 daughter
  • Thanks for working this out, guys! I will remember this formula.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!