Free Copy of Current Challenge Book: High Flavor, Low Labor
  • Random House accidentally sent me two copies of the challenge book, "High Flavor, Low Labor", and with their blessings, I'm going to give one of them away to a Cookbooker member this weekend.

If you're interested, here are the conditions: you must intend to do some cooking from this book for the challenge (we want your reviews!), and you must live in Canada or the US (sorry international folk, but I'm sending this out on my own dime, and overseas shipping is expensive).

To be eligible, just reply to this thread with something creative - how about your favorite Halloween treat? I'll randomly pick someone on Monday or Tuesday depending on how many people reply to this. [Note: this was initially Sunday but since most people replying so far either are getting the book or not participating, I'm giving it a little longer]
  • How thoughtful of you Andrew to share one of your copies with a cookbooker member. I'd love to cook from this one and have it ordered by interlibrary loan. I'm just hoping it arrives before the challenge is over but if not I still hope to try a few recipes. Now to your question. This might not be considered a treat but for Halloween I often make chicken pot pies in small pumpkins. I make one for each family member. It's fun to have your own individual pot pie in a mini pumpkin and the pumpkin tastes good with the other pot pie ingredients. Happy Halloween everyone!
  • Hi Andrew
    Well I intend to do some more cooking from the book-I ordered a copy which should be here any day and meanwhile I'm finished the sample recipes and have to post comments. I've my 8 year old grand daughter over for the weekend as usual, and it's been Halloween costumes, make-up and cooking for 2 days. There has been two kids Halloween parties pumpkin carving and trick or treating yet to come. My favourite Halloween treat and tradition is carving the pumpkin with her while eating homemade shortbread done up with spooky decorations-this year as fingers with almonds for nails (witches fingers). I also love the barefoot contessa coconut cupcakes with cream cheese frosting anytime of year, but for Halloween stick the candy vampire teeth in the tops with a few drops of edible decorative writing gel (Wiltons) for drops of blood. Pretty fabulous against the white backdrop!
  • I too think this is a really nice idea on your part. I'd love to cook from the book but probably can't do it in the time frame of the challenge since it's a busy season for me. But I have the sample recipes printed off and am looking forward to making them.

So while I am not entering the contest, and don't really have a favorite Halloween treat, I made the "buckeyes" (kind of like homemade Reese's cups) at the Smitten Kitchen website tonight for our Halloween treat. We live on a street that never gets trick-or-treaters so they are all for us.
  • Oooh, all those treats sound great. I just looked at the buckeyes on Smitten Kitchen (http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/10/buckeyes/) and they are mouth watering. I think I'll make them for an upcoming cookie exchange. Please review them once you've gorged yourself aj!

I'm currently cooking up some pumpkin-related goodies - this year we grew some Long Island Cheese pumpkins, which apparently were what most pumpkin pies were made of in former times. Now canned pumpkin is actually made from a close relative of the Butternut Squash. I've just roasted one pumpkin and am cooking off some of the water as it's rather wet. All going well I'll do a pie and some pumpkin bread. I think I'll try the pumpkin bread recipe from the current Challenge.
  • I loved Squirrels growing up-those penny candies with ground up nuts in them. I just don't eat much candy or sweets in general but I do love to make pumpkin bread and chocolaty brownies for hubby. This year I made brownies as graves with greenish candy bones sticking out. Oddly enough, I always make tomato kale soup for the night so I don't have to worry about missing dinner. If I should win, I will only be making the vegetarian recipes but as an experience recipe player, I know how to vegatize and veganize almost anything.
  • I've already made two of the three sample recipes (and reviewed them!) so I would love to be able to make more and do more reviews! I'm impressed with the book, so far.

My favorite Halloween treat isn't something you get while trick or treating: pumpkin seeds!! Sweet, spicy, a little of both- I can't get enough of 'em.
  • Well, I put some numbers in a hat and got a small person (who was a very credible ghost for halloween) to pull one out, and the result is goodfoodhunter. Thanks everyone else for posting your treats. At the moment, I'm trying not to eat the mini leftover candy bars in the cupboard...
  • Congrats dear daughter on the cookbook win. I expect dinner out of it.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!