Question about challah
  • Hi Everyone-
    I am hoping someone can help me. I would like to make a raisin challah next week. I was planning on using the challah recipe in Artisan Bread Every Day (I see that a number of people gave it a high rating). However, this recipe does not call for raisins. Can someone suggest how much I should add? Or do you have a different recipe you recommend? Thanks!
  • I haven't made it, so I can't say if it's any good, but there's a recipe in Marcy Goldman's Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking for Raisin Challa. Comparing it to the one in Artisan Bread Every Day, it's fairly similar in size and ingredients (though Marcy's version only has 3 eggs and 2 yolks compared to Peter Reinhart's 8-10 yolks).

Anyway, she calls for 1 1/2 cups of dark or yellow raisins, plumped (covered in very hot water for a few minutes to make them moister). I found a link to the recipe here: http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/bread/challot/raisinchallah01.html
  • Thanks Andrew. I appreciate the help and will add about that amount of raisins to the dough.
  • Several years back I made the challah (also a recipe that does not call for raisins) in the Baking with Julia book and it was wonderful.
  • Thank you. I actually have that book but didn't even think to look in it! I will check it out.
  • This is a belated answer for you, bhnyc, but I recommend Mollie Katzen's Racheli's Deluxe Challah from Still Life with Menu. Many libraries carry that book, so you may be able to test the recipe without first buying the book. She lists raisins as optional. I have made it with and without raisins, and both versions are so wonderful. I often make a small braid right on top of a large braid, and bake it in a little bit cooler oven than she calls for, and it comes out so shiny, and huge, and dramatic and DELICIOUS that I never fail to get gasps from people when they see it. And then, when we start eating it, everyone has more than one slice, or even several slices. It is very easy to make, too. I hardly knead it at all, and it can go in the fridge after the first rising and be held there, if covered well, for a few days with no ill effects. I have made this bread several times a year for many years now. Just fabulous.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!