Small scale scale...
  • Just a quick product tip - I bought this scale recently (long story, but it has to do with upgrading my espresso maker to a fancier version and getting a little caught up in the excitement of getting accessories), and I'm really pleased with it. I have a larger scale already, and use it all the time, but I'm finding this one really useful for smaller measurements. It's accurate to 0.1 gram, so I can be completely obsessive about my coffee, but also with things like spices. And it weighs items up to 2kg (4.5 lbs) so it can be used for medium-sized measurements too. It's a great size for keeping out on the counter, and has a plastic cover that also is useful as a tray. Very handy indeed!

Here's the details for anyone interested: American Weigh SC-2KG Digital Pocket Scale.

Oh and as an amusing aside, I was perusing the listings of these small scales, often known as jewelery scales (you can weigh your peppercorns in troy ounces!), and Amazon was suggesting some other purchases that seemed a little odd, such as large quantities of small plastic bags, when I realized that a major use of these scales must be in weighing illicit substances!
  • Nice scale! It sure is great when having excellent tools doesn't break the bank. I'm curious about your coffee making - you weigh out for each pot/cup?
  • I do indeed! It's for espresso making. Apparently there are two main variables for making good espresso, once you've controlled for the technical side of things by getting a good machine which has consistent temperature and pressure - the fineness and evenness of the grind and the dose weight. So for consistency I try to grind within 0.5 g of the same weight every time. This scale actually lets me get to within 0.2 g most days.

It does sound a bit obsessive, but I'm an amateur compared to some of the coffee geeks out there - the potential for major obsession (and expense) is great.

I'm in good company though - Beethoven used to count out 60 coffee beans each morning for his daily cup!

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!