chow.com
  • Is anyone familiar with the site Chow? They host a monthly cookbook discussion (the archive is here) which is turning up some good books and recipe discussions. I like the way they group chapters or topics into separate discussions. Makes it a bit easier to wade through lots of info. (Maybe Cookbooker could do something like this? )
    If I sign up for the site, am I going to be inundated with junk mail?
  • I read Chow, and have consulted their cookbook discussions, and even participated once. I don't think I get any junk email from them, maybe no email at all. There are posted questions that can be useful - e.g. advice on how to buy a tagine.

The other site I like to look at is serious eats. I find the site difficult to navigate, but they have a column called cook the book, which features recipes from cookbooks (and cookbook give-aways)! I even won a cookbook from them.
  • QS, I too won a cookbook from Serious Eats. I do like that site. I've heard of Chow but haven't participated there.
  • Chow is a good site. I've spent time there too - great for restaurant recommendations when you're visiting to a new city. I'll be in Boston in March and I'm looking forward to hitting Flour Bakery and some funky restaurants, and will definitely check Chow beforehand.
  • I have loved Chow ever since it was a print magazine, which it was briefly and long, long ago. I get their daily recipe email and the weekly round-up of their discussion boards. I have never been spammed by them or by anyone identifiably connected to them.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!