New challenge for September
  • I'm with Queezle Sister---the challenges are fun for their own sake. But I won two books--I'd be happy to 'pay it forward.'
  • My library copy of the Complete Asian Cookbook is due back in few days...am I returning it or renewing it? Is this challenge going to take place?
  • This is a good question. Andrews has not yet closed down the old challenge; have our intrepid co-moderators decided on a plan of action?
  • Perhaps we can give Andrew another nudge via e-mail--if Beth is around she has his e-mail, I think.
  • I will give Andrew another nudge. He did stop in and say to start the challenge but none of us have really jumped on the bandwagon.

I've had a lot on my plate lately with a medical emergency with my youngest son and it doesn't look to improve anytime soon. I'm not sure how much time I'll have for cooking over the next month while my son recovers from surgery.

I'm always here though and I will email Andrew right now.
  • Thanks, Beth, and I know that we all are sending our warmest wishes for a very speedy recovery.
  • Hope things get better, Beth.
  • I propose that our Asian Challenge, using Charmaine Solomon's The Complete Asian Cookbook, start around September 28th (1.5 weeks from now), and extend into November, perhaps around Nov 15th. By delaying the start, we could all try to post on other food/cookbook-oriented web sites. And I'd love a discussion with our core group about making a prize available. If we all worked on this, perhaps we could get enough new cookbookers to at least allow Andrew to break even.

One thought - perhaps we could start a goodreads cookbooker group. Precedent is set by the "from scratch" book club, which has its own web site and also works through goodreads.

Friends, what do you think?
  • Sounds good--Would it be possible for you to set up the group and then invite us? I think I have a Goodreads user name but I have to figure out what it is....
  • I'm a goodreads person too. And understand the need to publicize cookbooker. But how with a goodreads group differ from this forum though?

Are there enough people to make a Facebook group worthwhile?
  • I think anywhere we can get the word out, it will help. Periodically I post comments on various food blogs such as thekitchn or seriouseats, or even smitten kitchen, when I review one of their recipes. Or if there is a discussion about how to keep track of your recipes. I truly believe that if more people knew about cookbooker, they would be having as much fun as the rest of us.

I will look into the goodreads thing. I think there is a facebook (was?) page for cookbooker, but I don't do much facebook. However, I could break with that tradition. There are now cookbook giveaways at eatyourbooks, and there are likely logical places we can post and mention the wonders of cookbooker.

Other ideas?
  • I'm not finding a FB page for cookbooker, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I thought EYB was a competitor for cookbooker. If so, I'm not sure they'd appreciate the plug.
  • There is not a FB page for cookbooker but it would be great if someone wanted to start one.

Truth be told, however, I'm not sure how much publicity we should do if we can't get Andrew back here or if we can't get him to turn over some of the keys to someone who knows something more than me about coding. Right now we can't update anything and that is making the site stagnant.

I sent Andrew an email on the 16th and we haven't heard from him. I'm not quite sure what to make of it all.
  • You are right that we cannot do this alone. And while I love the idea of getting cookbooker all over goodreads and facebook, they are yet another site to keep active and happy, taking more time from our passion.... cooking!
  • Maybe Andrew would be willing to make a few of us administrators so we could edit/add etc.
  • That's what I'm hoping, kateq. But first we need him to come on by.
  • There is a Facebook page for cookbooker but it hasn't been updated since early November 2012. Here's the link:
    https://www.facebook.com/cookbooker
  • Maybe we can start posting on that page and we might get some action...
  • I'm back. I'm sorry for my lack of participation on this. I'm just going to read all the threads I have not read in my absence and then I'll respond to the various questions and issues that have inevitably cropped up.

The essence is, I have no time to work on Cookbooker any longer. So I'd be happy to have a conversation about options to keep the community going. I have a couple of ideas. Back soon.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!