Holiday Challenge 2011: The Pie and Pastry Bible
  • I'm delighted to announce our new challenge, set to run over the holidays this year. We'll be cooking from Rose Levy Beranbaum's incomparable The Pie and Pastry Bible. This is the book which taught me how to overcome my fear of pastry and produce a delightfully tender and flaky crust, not to mention some excellent pies. Rose is a meticulous baker - the book contains exacting instructions, and each recipe has weights as well as volumes. This book is a master class in pies and pastries, and I am looking forward to expanding my horizons with this challenge.

It's been out for over a decade, so should be easy to find in libraries, used and of course since it's such a classic, it's still in print and available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and any other good bookstore (such as one of the stores in our bookstores list here: http://www.cookbooker.com/bookstores.php).
  • This will be fun! I think I'll have to carry the book with me everywhere- its so big it will give me a bit of exercise to make up for all the delicious pastry that I want to prepare!
  • There is a list of corrections for this book, you can access it here
  • Thanks QS! I also see that a few people have added links to corrected recipes in the links tab of individual recipes - here, for example: http://www.cookbooker.com/recipe/24064/lemon-meringue-pie?view=links

So definitely if anyone has connections to corrections, please give directions... (do you see what I did there?)
  • Rose also has a blog that people might find it interesting to visit during the challenge.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/
  • Mmmmm pie! Something new to tackle. I'm a little afraid of pastry myself so this should be fun.
  • Leeka - I, too, am afraid of pastry, and thought I'd not participate in this challenge. That was until I got my hands on my library's copy. The instructions are amazing, and the detailed explanation for why each step is important is interesting, and very useful. Its perhaps like having a patient older sister with you while you bake (that's you, PS). Most recipes seem really involved, but I think you can often do steps over several days, making it possible for busy people with a day job!
  • I won't be participating in this challenge. I can't justify buying another pie book when I rarely make pies. I will be following along, however, and using my own favorite pie book - Ken Haedrich's Pie.
  • Beth - did you check your library? I, too, cannot always afford to purchase the challenge books, but have found that the title is usually among the collection owned by my local library. I am lucky, though, that my "local" includes a city and country library system, and collectively includes about 30 libraries. Nevertheless, its worth taking a look - and even if its not among their holdings, you might be able to get it using inter-library loan.
  • Our library is teeny tiny and does not carry the book. Even if I could get it on inter library loan, the loan period is for 2 weeks which can not be extended.
    I'm fine following along and using my own Pie cookbook which I bought ages ago and have barely used.
  • We'll enjoy reading your pie reviews, whichever cook book.

Andrew - does this challenge count for the 2011 year - then everyone will be eligible to win in the next one?? I mean, I feel like a winner just learning about this great cookbook, and learning to make pie crust and all, and I'll be in europe for 3 weeks of the challenge, so I don't think I'll register so many, but this might be a question for other cookbookers, too.
  • Yes, this is the last one of 2011 and everything resets for 2012 challenges.

Also, Beth, you can find 14 recipes from the book on Epicurious for free - just follow this link: http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=pie+pastry+bible&x=0&y=0
  • Thank you, Andrew. I'll definitely check those out.
  • Oh frabjous day! A book that I already possess! And it's a classic, not just recipes but theory and explanations.

Not sure though if I'll be in the challenge, don't do much baking these days. And also, in the southern hemisphere this is the time of year when the weather starts to warm up, so pastry is more difficult and not so appetising (Christmas shortbread and mince pies always excepted).
  • This challenge has been a wonderful educational experience for me. I am no longer afraid of making pies, and I ended up purchasing the cookbook because the recipes all seem to work so well. Thank you for introducing me to this great cookbook author!
  • It is a great book, and I'm so glad it has been a good challenge for you, QS, as well as everyone else. I'm going to tally everything up today if I can for the winners list.
  • As usual, it took me longer than I thought to get sorted for the challenge. I'm happy to announce the winners now, however, all of whom have been emailed just now about their happy situation.

Winners: Zosia, Peckish Sister, lovesgenoise.

Thanks to everyone who took part!
  • Thanks Andrew and to everyone who participated. It was a very fun challenge and I still have a lot of recipes marked that I am looking forward to cooking.
  • Congrats to Zosia, Peckish Sister, and lovesgenoise. Enjoy your prizes. As usual I had fun picking out recipes to try and reading all the other reviews.
  • Yippee! I don't think I've ever won anything before, what fun :)

Enjoyed this challenge, and am looking forward to the next!
  • Hurrah for the winners! These challenges are great fun and I look forward to the next.
  • I just received my new cookbook, and excited as I am about having won it, the greatest fun was had by simply participating in the challenge. I'm looking forward to the next one!
  • I also just received Rose's Heavenly Cakes. I will cherish this cookbook. Thanks again Andrew!
  • Glad to hear it! Lovesgenoise - please get in touch, as I haven't heard back from the email we sent you about your prize. andrew - at - cookbooker.com will do it.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!