problems with adding a photo
  • I'm doing a couple reviews and when I tried to add a photo I got the message that this service is not available at this time or something along those lines. I've never saw this before when adding a photo and I've added quiet a few. Anyone else having problems adding photos?
  • Never mind it's working now.
  • I'm also experiencing problems adding photos, but different from what southerncooker experienced......they seem to be uploading successfully - no messages regarding the service not being available - but they're not visible to me! I thought, perhaps, it might be my computer so I rebooted this one and checked the site on a second one and the photos are not appearing.

Any thoughts....?

Edit to add:
    I've tried both methods of uploading the photos now, both to no avail. I'm also unable to remove the photos I've uploaded.
  • Zosia, I just tried adding a couple photos with my latest reviews and my photos are showing up as a blank box. I was thinking something was wrong with my computer but I see you to are having the same problem. I also was unable to remove the photos I uploaded that are just a box with no luck.
  • Is all software on your computer up to date? I saw a few blank boxes yesterday on another website, and once I installed the updates (Adobe I think) and restarted everything was back to normal again.
  • friederike, thank you for the suggestion. I installed the latest version of Adobe flash and to my knowledge, all other software is up to date but nothing has changed for me on this site.
  • Aaah. Same here, blank box, no photo...
  • Uh oh - I have a feeling this is related to the service we're using to host the images and not your own issues (especially since it's more than one). I'll look into it and see what happens. Could you let me know one or two of the reviews with blank images?
  • Okay, found the problem fairly quickly. Turns out the 'cloud' service we use to host images changed server names to one which is a much longer name. When I created the image system I hadn't foreseen this happening, and hadn't provided enough space for it, so image names were getting cut off.

This is fixed now and all new images will have lots of space to play in. I've deleted about 8 recent images, all from the 20th of August onwards, so if you have had this issue (and it looks like all three of you were submitters of these images), you can now re-upload the images.

Sorry about this! Bugs can lie in wait for years sometimes, waiting to strike...
  • It is working now...thank you.
  • I'm afraid there's more - I didn't manage to upload a cover, it looks like the same bug. And thank you for fixing this so fast!
  • Could you let me know which one, @friederike?
  • Aha - I see the same bug was in the cover database. It's fixed now and I've removed the offending cover listings, so if you want to you can re-upload the affected covers. Luckily it was only 4 or 5 which were affected.
  • Thank you, it's working again!
    Slightly other question, just out of curiosity (not important!): I noticed that some covers won't show if you do a book title tag search, see for example here. I think it only applies to books (websites, etc.) with a user-uploaded cover.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!