When does the next challenge begin?
  • I just joined, and I'd love to participate, but I note the challenge just ended, and I don't see an announcement for the new one. Does anyone have info?
  • Hi Denise, and welcome!
    Typically we have about a month between challenges. The guru for this site, Andrew, is very busy, and he sets up the challenges as he is able.
    I'm looking forward to reading your reviews and cooking with you on the challenges. They really are a lot of fun.
  • Welcome to the kitchen Denise. The challenges are a lot of fun. Looking forward to your reviews.
  • Thanks Queezle Sister and southerncooker! I stumbled upon this fantastic site this past weekend, and am hooked. What a fantastic resource!
  • Yes, Denise, its a great resource and so useful for keeping track of the recipes one has tried. After joining a couple years ago, I've cooked so much more, tried so many "risky" recipes, and learned a tremendous amount. It has also led me to explore the stores where I live, and I've discovered Italian, middle eastern, Hispanic, and Asian markets. And I now even know many of the foods they carry, and how to use them. Its been a lot of fun for my whole family, too.

Do invite your friends to join, too. I love the people here on this site, and feel that they are close friends. So happy to have you aboard.
  • Hi Denise, and welcome!
    In the last conversation regarding future challenges, it was decided that Asian (most likely Japanese) and then the New York Times cook book would follow The Olive And The Caper. I don't think this decision is cast in stone so your input is welcome (and appreciated).
  • Both challenges sound like fun to me. I've been doing a lot of gluten-free conversions of Asian recipes lately, so info on GF substitutions would be included in my reviews. The New York Times cookbook is a classic I've wanted to take a look at for years.
  • Denise,
    I too would like to welcome you to the Cook Booker community, and will look forward to your reviews. I enjoy cooking up gluten-free treats for my son's girlfriend.
  • I would love to see a future challenge based on either Cooks Illustrated or America's Test Kitchens relatively new compilation books. The twenty years, two thousand recipes in the Cook's Illustrated would be particularly fun for a challenge.
  • Oooh, Peckish Sister. I would love a challenge based on the new Cook's Illustrated compilation. It's quite a body of work. Although I know Andrew talked about Asian for the next challenge, I'd really rather see the CI book or the New York Times book for the summer as they both have so much to choose from.
  • Welcome, Denise!
    I think I too would rather cook from the New York Times Cookbook--so many choices and so many styles of cooking. I really enjoyed the last challenge--still have quite a list of dishes I'd like to make from The Olive and the Caper.
  • I'm so glad I found Cookbooker - thanks for all of the welcomes!
    Summer is coming - good point! Should be considered in the choice of challenge books. Salads and grilled items have to be in the book for me to participate on hot days (no AC, but a lovely grill outside). NYT book is likely have more choices in these categories, but Japanese cuisine does include plenty of grilling and some fantastic salads (anyone ever tried pea shoot salad with toasted sunflower seeds?).
    I have the first version of Best Recipe (very old) from the Cook's Illustrated crew and it is the source of many of my repeated standards.
  • Actually, winter is coming for many of us. Seasonally based challenges are a bad idea.
  • Hopefully we can find a challenge that will suit us all, regardless of hemisphere or time zone. There are so many great cookbooks.

• Welcome Denise! I'm so glad you found this place!!! I love your attitude! We are gonna have such fun!

I've been mentioning Cookbooker on the Cooking Light forum (which I love so and have for years -- they are *not* just about CL recipes, btw -- and I hope the folks there do come over here, too. It would be fantastic being slammed by dozens of foodies!!!! And I've mentioned to various Mastercook s/w (recipe) groups I belong to -- many recipe sharers and collectors. I wonder if any have joined us?? I hope so. I'll keep mentioning!!! This is a really fantastic resource! The people MAKE this place so nice. And Andrew must be a saint. I can't thank him and everyone at Cookbooker enough!!

I have too many cookbooks to mention and am addicted now to getting cookbook EBOOKS, too! And LIBRARY cookbooks. Everywhere I turn in my house, I see COOKBOOKS! (Yes, mags too.) It's TIME to do some COOKING!!! :)
  • Which Cook's Ill. we talkin' here, exactly? :) I would enjoy any, but just want to make sure I have the one y'all are suggesting. And/Or anyway, I can just drool while you all cook. I've got most in my Mastercook, so holler if you need a recipe. I *adore* sharing my from my collections of recipes--it's my thing.
  • I, too, try to get my friends and colleagues to join. This is a great place, cookbooker, and it feels like family. So glad when new members find us.

Andrew always has the last say on the challenges. He is super busy, but hopefully soon he will be able to carve out a little time for posting and updating us on challenges.
  • Welcome Denise! Great to read such friendly comments. It really makes a difference to have a warm inviting atmosphere. I know-I had a tough year health wise, and an occasional kind comment really can make a difference.
    For the next challenge I am open either to Asian or an ATK compilation as someone mentioned. Both are of interest to me. I'm a big fan of the ATK show.

I read comments on the site which lead me to purchase Cook's Science of Good Cooking but I haven't tried it yet. Also there are so many strong comments about Ottolenghi cookbooks I bought Plenty and I preordered the NA version of "Ottolenghi" which comes out in September on the Amazon.ca site. Can't wait to start cooking from that. With the North American launch in September maybe we could consider a challenge in the autumn or new year of that one or his three books combined.
  • Re Cook's Illustrated - the way to go is to ge the latest compilation, be it America's Test Kitchen, Best Recipe, or whatever other comp they have. While they put out a lot of books, once they find THE way to prepare an item, they include the recipe in every book. You can also join their onine community (approx. $20/year I think, and probably included with a mag. sub.) and have access to a lot of recipes. I had a subscription to their mag. for several years, and LOVED it, but use the Best Recipe book most of all, because it is easier to find what I'm looking for.

Brenda, I'll be contacting you for recipes, I'm sure. I have moved too many times over the years, and my cookbook collection always suffers. I have kept my absolute favorites, but live in a small house, so can't buy to my heart's content. Thank goodness for the library!

I'm intrigued by all the posts about Ottolenghi - will be looking for one of these soon.

I'm telling everyone about Cookbooker.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!