New Challenge - May 2013
  • In an effort to help out Andrew, I have volunteered to help with the challenges. The old challenge has ended and it is time to start a new one.

After reading the forums and giving some thought to recent challenges, I was thinking it might be good to have the next challenge be a more general one. The most recent challenges have been on specific cuisines. Perhaps it might be nice to use a more wide ranging cookbook like The Essential New York Times Cookbook by Amanda Hesser. This book is owned by 43 Cookbooker members and should be widely available online.

After this, the next challenge could return to a specific cuisine (perhaps an Asian one). It might be nice to toggle back and forth between specific cuisines and general cookbooks.

Please share your thoughts, including how long you think the challenge should last or anything else you'd like to see, so we can organize the next challenge as quickly as possible.
  • BethNH, thanks so much for stepping up and helping with the challenges. I haven't seen this book to look through it but it sounds like a good one to delve into for a challenge. As for how long a challenge should last I'm up to whatever the consensus of the group is. A longer time gives more time for cooking and digging into the book more in dept, especially if it's one with numerous recipes. I know Andrew is busy and if prizes or things of that nature is a problem I for one would enjoy the challenges just as much with my finished dishes as my reward. Looking forward to participating once again no matter which book is chosen.
  • Thanks for volunteering Beth...(and kateq)

I'm fine with the Essential New York Times cookbook....I almost bought the book a few years ago but then decided on Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything (must have been something about red book covers that day....). If it's chosen, I'll have an excuse to buy it!

I wasn't a member when the first challenges were held so I'm not sure what the usual length was, but as southerncooker pointed out, with a book this size, you would want it to last a bit of time ....perhaps 3 months.
  • I think there'd be plenty to keep everyone busy for 3 months. That would take us through the middle of August before we'd need to think of a new challenge.

I'll leave this open for another day or so and then I'll write to Andrew with the new challenge book. I hope we hear from more cookbookers.
  • Normally I would say I would get bored after 6 weeks, but for a book of this size, I agree that 3 months would be good. Also since it goes over the summer, you can not worry about missing most of the challenge if you are traveling. That cookbook is now owned by 44 members, as I just placed my order! My thanks also for the volunteer(s) to keep the challenges going!
  • This sounds like a plan to me! It will be fun to see who makes what -- with Bunyip et al coming into winter and all of us in the north enjoying summer.
  • I agree this sounds like fun. I will be doing a lot of travel this summer, and so little cooking, but a 3 month challenge will mean that I'm not excluded. It is such a huge book, I might be intimidated, but with my friends working through it with me, it could be a lot of fun.
  • And the challenge is live! I've put it on the home page and the challenge page. If you are going to order the book, I'd be delighted if you did it from the book page: http://www.cookbooker.com/title/14096/the-essential-new-york-times-cookbook-classic-recipes-for-a-new-century since Cookbooker gets a small tip when you do so.

Good cooking!
  • Thank you, Andrew. I look forward to a few months of delicious cooking.
  • Super! I've felt a little guilty about not using the book,even though I know there are lots of dishes I want to make and some old favorites which I need to revisit.
  • A copy from the library is on hold! After reading the Amazon reviews, I was a bit concerned, but kateq - your link vanquished my worries and I now look forward to this challenge. Friends, grab your spatulas!
  • I placed a copy on hold at my library as well. Just waiting for it to arrive from another library.
  • I'm very pleased with this challenge! The book is a delight, with such diversity and interesting stories. Even the organization -- which some amazon reviewers complained about -- seems great to me - with interesting recipe juxtapositions.

• well guys-it turns out it is cancer again. Found out a week ago. Because I just had surgery, I have to wait at least a month but not longer than 3 to get the next surgery. I will be doing everything I can to stay positive and well. I'm going to cook, garden, spend time with my family and participate in the challenge when I get a copy of the book. Don't feel sorry for me-I believe that puts negative energy out there-but any positive thought or intention is greatly appreciated. Just like I think when you cook with love your food tastes better!
  • @cadfael, positive thoughts coming your way!
  • Cadfael--I'll be thinking of you and your great attitude every time I use the book and every time I come to the site. As the lovely Jacques Pepin would say, Happy Cooking!
  • @cadfael, I admire your positive spirit and will send healing thoughts your way while cooking.
  • Cadfael, you have a wonderful attitude. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Cadfael, more positives coming from me. I look forward to your reviews, and will enjoy cooking with you.
  • Cadfael, you're in my thoughts and prayers.
  • For this tome, I've decided to try to prepare at least one recipe from each of the 18 chapters. So far I've got chapter 5, vegetables, well covered, with one recipe from chapter 10 (poultry), chapter 13 (waffles), and chapter 18 (pies and tarts). I think it would also be fun to try to prepare a recipe from each of the 15 decades covered by this book.
  • I did some serious browsing through the book and have lots of recipes flagged. Yet missed a chicken recipe which Beth reviewed--made my mouth water. There is so much in this book...
  • I plan to make one of the drink recipes as soon as it warms up again in New Hampshire. I never need an excuse for a good cocktail.
  • Yes, so many lovely cocktail recipes -- perfect for summer. And keteq - do make that chicken -- we had it for dinner last night and it was amazing.
  • I really enjoyed this NYT cookbook challenge (I must quit contributing to this one due to travel). Although it took a little while to warm up to the book, I eventually succumbed to its charms, especially the time lines, and the anecdotes. I was sad to return my copy to the library, but I suspect that I will break down and purchase a copy soon. I should also note that I really appreciated the book's comprehensive index. Thanks everyone, I have enjoyed your reviews very much. And so many of the recipes are super easy, that any one of you could easily top my number of contributions.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!