Newest Challenge: The Moosewood Cookbook
  • As you'll see on the home page, we have started the Moosewood Cookbook Challenge. It's going to last for five weeks, and I'm hopeful we'll see a treasure-trove of new reviews from members old and new. Because we have six different editions of the cookbook on the site, we'll be accepting reviews from any of the books, including The New Moosewood Cookbook.

Long-time members will notice a few changes: first, we're starting the clock from today, so the challenge statistics will only show reviews contributed from today onwards; older reviews will not count towards prize eligibility. Second, we're going to try out a weighted random draw for prizes; each review gets you one ballot towards a prize. We'll also limit winners to two prizes per calendar year. There will be three prizes; winners can choose another one of Molly Katzen's more recent cookbooks.

Also, we'll recognize the top reviewers with our kudos, whether they win an award or not.

This thread is here for challenge-related chatter. Let me know if there are any bugs, and also how you're doing with the book. I'm going to dig into it a bit further, as although my wife and I have a good half-dozen or so favorites from Moosewood, there are lots of recipes we've not yet tackled.
  • Andrew, I would like to participate but do not own the cookbook and my library copy may be a few weeks in coming. Do you have any sample recipes listed that I could try?
  • @Leeka: have a look at Mollie Katzen's website - she lists a number of recipes from different books, and at least some of them are from the Moosewood, though you'll have to do some clicking around to find them as they're not organized by book: http://www.molliekatzen.com/archives.php

I saw the 'basic cornbread' one there for example: http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipe=cornbread
  • I am loving this challenge. I am actually finishing those large bags of Costco veges! My children have thanked me even while eating a large plate of vegetables, and say what a nice change it is from chicken nuggets ( that makes me feel really guilty). I am going beyond my comfort level and trying things I normally would not touch. I am sorry that the challenge is so short. Thank you!
  • Thanks Andrew, I will check out her website. I didn't even think of that. :-)
  • Leeka: If you look through this list:
    http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/moosewood
    you'll find a number of Molly Katzen's recipes from the Moosewood Cookbook.
  • That's handy, @kateq. And great to hear the cookbook is geting you (and the kids) to expand your horizons, @Sieburp.

We just published an interview with Mollie on our 'Articles' section, for anyone interested. She had some interesting things to say indeed.
  • Thanks Kateq!
  • Andrew-Does calendar year mean Jan-Dec? I won for a photo (I don't know if you still do that-do you?) I have had all Molly's books at one time or another, so if the only books awarded are those, and I would be excluded from winning other books I don't have, for a whole year, I'd just as soon not be included in this draw. I still like to share recipe impressions though, as I have cooked from this book quite a bit over the years.
  • Yes, Jan-December. We are not doing photos any more, just reviews. A simple solution is that if you win you can just decline and then be free to win at a later time. I don't want to dissuade anyone from taking part in a challenge!
  • Just to note, the challenge ends tonight, so if you have any more reviews to enter, now's the time!
  • Challenge Winners Announced

I'm delighted to announce the winners of the Moosewood Challenge. Members Leeka,
    bab56 and Peckish Sister were all chosen by random, weighted draw (details below) and have been offered a prize of a current title by Molly Katzen.

Our top reviewers by numbers of reviews were Peckish Sister, kaye16 and cadfael. There are no prizes for this, but they do get our eternal admiration for their cooking dedication!

Details

If you're at all technically inclined, here's how we picked the winners. I ran a database query to pick out all the reviews from the Moosewood Challenge period, from all editions, then exported them into an Excel table. Each row was numbered, so I then went to http://random.org and generated a series of random numbers. I then picked the row corresponding with each number and hey presto, the winners! Significantly, this process did pick one of the top reviewers by numbers of reviews (Peckish Sister) but the other two winners only had a few reviews, showing that it is now possible for anyone entering to win, though the more you review, the better your odds.

• Congrats to all the winners.
  • Thanks for the interesting reviews you all wrote! And I cannot wait for the next challenge to begin.
  • Congratulations everyone.
  • I just want to say thanks to all you devoted cookbookers who wrote so many great reviews for the challenge! I'm so impressed with how many recipes you were able to cook.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!